Charleston Vermont is a town in Orleans County, located in the beautiful and scenic "Northeast Kingdom" of Vermont, an area that National Geographic selected as part of their geotourism program for sustainable destinations. The town contains three unincorporated villages: Charleston, East Charleston and West Charleston.
Commodore Abraham Whipple was given a grant to the town, along with 50-60 of his shipmates. He called it "Navy." Abner Allen, from Barton, Vermont, was the first settler in 1803. In 1825, the town changed its name to Charleston, presumably after a naval battle that had occurred off Charleston, South Carolina.