Wilder is an unincorporated village and census-designated place (CDP) within the town of Hartford in Windsor County, of the "Eastern Vermont Gateway" region. It is located adjacent to the Connecticut River and immediately north of the village of White River Junction.
The area was originally known as Olcott Falls and was renamed for Charles Wilder, owner of a local paper mill. An iron bridge contributed by Charles Wilder spanned the Connecticut River at Wilder. The bridge, the paper mill, and the dam that supplied power to the mill were all demolished in 1950 for the construction of Wilder Dam.
The Wilder Village Historic District was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1999 and covers 40 acres with 203 contributing resources.